A Scout Group is led by a Group Scout Leader and managed by a Group Executive Committee. They are accountable to the Group Scout Council for the satisfactory running of the Group.
The Group Scout Council is the electoral body, which supports Scouting in the Scout Group. It is the body to which the Group Executive Committee is accountable.
Membership of the Group Scout Council is open to:
• Scouters; •Colony, Pack and Troop Assistants ; • Patrol Leaders; • all parents of Beaver Scouts, Cub Scouts and Scouts.
The Group Executive Committee supports the Group Scout Leader and ensures the effective administration of the Scout Group. The Group Scout Leader nominates the Group Chairman and the relationship is one of partnership and mutual support.
The Group Executive Committee aims to make sure that the Scout Group has the facilities and resources needed to deliver good Scouting in the Group.
• the maintenance of the Group’s property and equipment
• the raising of funds and the administration of the Group’s finance
• the insurance of persons, property and equipment
• Group public occasions
• assisting with the recruitment of Leaders and other adult support
The Group Executive Committee consists of:
• The Group Chairman;
• The Group Secretary;
• The Group Treasurer;
• The Group Scout Leader;
• The Explorer Scout Leader
• All Section Leaders (i.e. individuals holding a Beaver Scout Leader, Cub Scout Leader or Scout Leader role).
• persons nominated by the Group Scout Leader.
• persons elected at the Group Annual General Meeting.
You don’t have to be an adventurer like Bear Grylls to get involved with Scouting. Do you have first aid knowledge? Are you good with numbers? Handy in the kitchen? Or are you a DIY whizz? We all have useful skills and you can volunteer and help in many ways.
We are always on the lookout for parents of members to come along and join the Group Executive Committee. If you wish to help the Group in any of these capacities please let us know via the Join link.
Training for the role:
01E: Essential Information for Executive Committee Members
Essential Information for Executive Committee Members is a mandatory module that covers the Fundamentals of Scouting, but also provides more specific information on the responsibilities of Executive Committee Members, enabling them to carry out their role effectively. This module covers:
- The Fundamentals of Scouting
- Executive Committees and trusteeship in Scouting
- Safety in Scouting
- Safeguarding – child protection
If you have completed Essential Information (module 1) previously for another current role, the specific Trustee e-learning is available here.